How to own top notch real estate investments with just a few thousand pesos: Buy REITs like RCR!
Everyone dreams of owning and earning top-notch real estate. Unfortunately, before 2020, it took a lot of money to do this. But did you know that today it only takes a few thousand to reap the benefits of owning these top notch properties, and take note, without the headaches normally associated with such a property? ? This is thanks to a relatively new vehicle in our country called REIT.
What is REIT?
REIT stands for Real Estate Investment Trust. It is a business that owns, operates and finances income-generating real estate. It is inspired by mutual funds because it also pools the capital of many investors, large and small. This allows you and me to earn dividends on real estate investments without having to buy, manage and finance the properties ourselves. REITs are required to distribute at least 90% of the profits to their shareholders. Does this sound appealing to you? It makes me.
A little history
In the United States, which is generally our model for our financial instruments, REIT was created as early as 1960, when most of us were not yet alive. If it was a person, it would already be an elderly person now! The law was enacted to give investors, especially smaller ones, access to income-producing real estate. Today, the total capitalization of listed REITs is over US $ 1.4 trillion.
What about the Philippines, when did the REITs start? I remember my husband Marvin, who is the founding president of the Fund Managers Association of the Philippines (FMAP), attending the congressional hearings on the REIT law. The law was enacted in 2009, but the first REIT wasn’t born until 2020. So yes, we’re pretty new to this game and have a lot of catching up to do.
The Gokongwei Group is now offering the shares of its REIT, the FPI Commercial RL Inc. (RCR). The price per share is P6.45, allowing you to participate in the earnings of this investment with only a few thousand pesos, as promised in the title of this article.
The offer period begins today, August 25, 2021, until September 3, 2021. Thereafter, it will be listed on September 14, 2021 on the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE).
The offering size is 3.34 billion shares with an over-allotment option of up to 305 million common shares. In total, the company will be worth 64.2 billion pesos in market capitalization, making it the largest REIT in the country, among listed and future Philippine REITs.
What exactly are you buying?
If you buy RCR shares, you are buying real estate investments from Robinson Land inc. (RLC), one of the country’s leading real estate and property developers with 41 years of experience in the industry. Although RLC remains the landowner, the lease rights belong to RCR, with leases of up to 99 years, making RCR the REIT with the longest land lease. As a shareholder of RCR, you have the right to receive annual dividends. By law, REITs are required to pay dividends of at least 90% of their profits to their shareholders. This means that you have assured dividend income every year.
RCR’s initial portfolio includes 14 commercial properties with a total of 425,000 square meters, making it the largest REIT by asset size, located in nine areas – Makati, Taguig, Quezon City, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Cebu, Tarlac, Naga and Davao. This makes RCR the most geographically diverse REIT. The tenants of these properties consist of almost 70% BPO, 19% traditional tenants, 8% retail and seat rental, and less than 3% POGO. This diversity secures the payment of rents in the years to come.
In addition to the above, potential additions to the RCR portfolio are RLC’s Cyberspace Gamma in Ortigas and / or Robinson’s Cybergate Center 1 in Mandaluyong.
Why you should consider investing in this REIT
Do you already have real estate investments? If you already have one, how much money did you have to spend to buy it? Did you have to take out a loan? If you invested in a property for the purpose of earning rental income, what return are you getting now. Here’s how you get your actual return: Add up all of your rental income for the year and then deduct any expenses you incur to run it for a year (property tax, maintenance, dues, etc.) Divide that amount by your investment total (your purchase price and other costs associated with acquiring the asset). What number do you get?
Are you getting more than 5.96%? If you include all of your recurring expenses and all the costs you incurred to have your rental property, and also assume the vacancy rates you have, chances are you are lower than that. The 5.96% per annum dividend is what you will get from your RCR investment, without the headache of having a tenant, maintenance and other landlord related issues. This is because the properties are managed by the REIT. If you want to know the promoters of this company, here they are:
I personally know the President and CEO, Jericho Go. Our sons were on the same dance team. They competed and won not only locally but also international dance competitions. Director Lance Gokongwei is one of the best-selling Pinoy boys I featured in my very first book “Raising Pinoy Boys”. Of course, the other members of the management team and the board of directors led by Frederick Go are all respected names in the industry.
Another potential return you can get from your investment in RCR is capital appreciation or the price of the PSE traded share.
What’s more, once you need cash or just want to liquidate your RCR investment for whatever reason, you are free to do so, no questions asked, no need to procure real estate brokers, no need to stage your property to get the best price for it, no need to sign the deed of sale and other documents.
What are the risks ?
As with any investment, there are risks associated with investing in REITs in general. Remember, I always tell you that if an investment claims to be risk free, you have to run away. Risks involved are falling stock prices due to stock market sentiment, or rising interest rates making bonds more attractive, or REIT-specific issues such as falling occupancy rates and falling rates. company rental rate. All of these factors can lead to a potential loss of capital and lower dividend yields.
Fortunately, the existing conditions indicate that the above is unlikely and that the odds are in your favor if you decide to invest in the proposed SPP now.
To sum up, here are the reasons why this investment is worth it right now.
- You can enjoy the benefits of top-notch real estate investments for just a few thousand.
- If you have millions to invest, you can do that too. RCR is the largest Filipino REIT to date in terms of market capitalization, portfolio valuation and asset size, giving way to large local and foreign funds. So, technically, you are co-owners of these big funds, nak!
- RCR has the most diverse REIT with the broadest geographic coverage. You have the chance to enjoy the benefits of top notch properties in various locations with the investment money you currently have.
- No more worrying about the occupancy rate for your real estate investment. RCR has a very high average occupancy rate of 99%. The PEZA accreditation of its buildings also makes it easier to find new tenants.
- RCR has great potential for growth as its sponsor, RLC, has a strong balance sheet and inventory of assets that are expected to be part of RCR’s portfolio in the future.
- RCR is professionally managed, as shown by the management team above.
- Assets are liquid, which is not true in traditional ownership of real estate investments.
- For a healthy asset allocation of your personal portfolio, you can fill this real estate part with RCR REIT for a fraction of the cost and without needing to take out a mortgage.
Hope you now understand REITs and how you can feel like a donation or a donya with top notch real estate investments for just a few thousand pesos by taking action now. Well done to high FQ!
1. I will be invited to IMG Money Matters: “Financial Quotient” on August 25, Wednesday at 8 pm. Here is the link : https://youtu.be/IMGofficialchannel.
2. Join us Thursday, August 26 at 11:00 am on Kumu with a live broadcast on the FQMom FB page and Knowledge Channel with our special guests Drs. Junn and Iya Pajarillo.
3. Beware of exciting videos and content.
4. I invite you to subscribe to my new FQ Mom podcast. If you prefer to consume this article in audio and listen to my comments and additional ideas, you can listen to my podcast on the platform of your choice.
5. To learn more about your money-related behavior, pick up your copy of “FQ Book 2”. Also get copies for loved ones. The principles you will learn here apply not only to your financial life, but to all other important aspects of your life. https://fqmom.com/librairie/
To learn more about “FQ Book 2”, watch this short video.
6. How good are you with money? Do you want to know your FQ score? Take the FQ test and get your hands on your finances now. Scan the QR code or click on the link http://fqmom.com/dev-fqtest/app/#/questionnaire
This article is also published in FQMom.com.